Mike Rockenfeller crashes at 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours (Video)
Then, as darkness fell around the track, driver Mike Rockenfeller was bumped by a slower Ferrari and turned nose-first into a fence. After a tense few minutes, it was revealed that Rockenfeller left the car on his own, and appears to have escaped serious injury. He has been taken to a local hospital for further evaluation, but reports have been very optimistic thus far.
In both accidents, the cars broke apart to disperse the energy, just like they are supposed to. It makes for shocking video, but it’s a testament to Audi engineering that they were able to keep both drivers safe despite some sketchy-looking barriers at Le Mans.
Time to go run out and buy an Audi. Or more accurately, have someone buy me an Audi. Anyone feeling generous today?
Other Articles You Might Enjoy:
- Allan McNish’s amazing crash at the 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours (Video)
- Formula 2 Driver Henry Surtees Killed In Freak Crash At Brands Hatch: Video
- Lance Armstrong Crashes In Spain, Breaks Collarbone: Video
- Talledega Race Filled With Crashes, Including Carl Edwards Going Airborne Into A Fence: Video
- Theo Bos Crashes Daryl Impey During Tour Of Turkey: Video