High School Swimming Coach Fired After Repeatedly Making Offensive T-Shirts For Swim Team
When you’re a high school swim coach, your time is probably best spent encouraging your swimmers, showing them how they can swim faster & improving their technique.
Kevin Quill, now former swim coach at Connecticut’s Seymour High School, also believed that making questionable t-shirts should be part of his job description.
On 3 separate occasions, Quill had shirts made with customized slogans that took shots at opponents or even his own team.
The latest incident came after one swimmer nicknamed “The Mascot” quit the team after not being named a captain. So naturally, the team, encouraged by their coach, wore t-shirts that read “The Mascot is a quitter,” According to Quill, the shirts were “not poking fun at the student (Mascot), but instead were poking fun at the situation,” which is pretty much the same thing.
This was the final straw in an illustrious t-shirt making career.
His previous two strikes:
- He made shirts for the girls’ swim team that read “The Wetter, The Better.” Hmm, what did he mean by that? Surely he was just offering more sage coaching advice. School officials did not take this coaching well and forced the girls to wear the shirts inside out.
- He made shirts that read: “Smashing the Competition, One Tree … One Team at a Time.” While on the surface this might seem like a friendly, competitive shirt, it’s completely tasteless once you know the true story. The shirts were made in response to a swimmer from a rival school getting into a car accident, suffering a severe head injury, and then ending up in a coma. That’s class.
After several reprimands and these 3 t-shirt incidents, the school district had had enough. Quill has been dismissed.
Following news of Coach Quill’s dismissal, emergency e-mails were sent out at Cafepress, as the company’s 2009 profit is expected to fall short of expectations.
Swim coach fired over bullying [New Haven Register]
Other Articles You Might Enjoy:
- What’s the Capital of Thailand?
- Tulane Coach Bob Toledo Throws Entire Team Out Of Practice
- Utah State Aggies Change T-shirt Slogan
- UNC Tennis Star Chris Kearney Arrested For DWI, Hitting Pedestrians
- Chinese Soccer Coach Kicks & Beats Up One Of His Players