Arizona Diamondbacks Fire Mascot D. Baxter The Bobcat After DUI Arrest
Ever seen a drunk bobcat? The Arizona Department of Public Safety has.
Arizona Diamondbacks mascot David Hamilton AKA D. Baxter the Bobcat was canned by the Diamondbacks front office after they learned he had been arrested for suspicion of extreme DUI. It was either that, or rename the mascot DUI Baxter the Bobcat.
Not content to just get a regular old DUI, here’s what the police got Hamilton for:
- Hamilton was pulled over off the Loop 101at 95th Avenue and Peoria on Sept. 10 (an off day for the Diamondbacks in the middle of a homestand)
- An officer spotted Hamilton traveling approximately 95 mph on the 101.
- Hamilton was driving a Scion with the Diamondbacks’ logo (great advertising & team spirit!)
- He had a blood-alcohol level of 0.155, close to twice the legal limit of .08. (more great spirit of another kind)
- He told the officers he had smoked weed earlier in the day
- To top it all off, the mascot costume was in the back of the vehicle (it’s a shame he wasn’t wearing it while driving)
For some reason, the D-backs brass no longer wanted a drunk, stoned mascot, and thus, he was fired.
“After concluding our own investigation and gathering the facts involved, we felt it was necessary to take corrective action,” Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall said. “We will pursue a replacement for the mascot that is such a large part of our fan experience immediately.”
Please don’t. D. Baxter the Bobcat only marginally made sense when the Diamondbacks played at Bank One Ballpark (BOBcat, get it?). Now that they play at Chase Field, the mascot makes no sense. Let the mascot go away.
It’s a shame the team has canned Hamilton, since they’re missing out on a new marketing opportunity. The Diamondbacks have always tried to attract children and families, which is why Baxter exists. But a drunk, stoned bobcat? Now there’s a mascot that grown-ups can get on board with.
D-Backs fire D. Baxter after DUI arrest [AZ Central]
Other Articles You Might Enjoy:
- Former University Of Arizona QB Willie Tuitama Arrested For DUI After Drunken McDonalds Trip
- NFL Forces Super Bowl Mascot To Be Renamed
- Arizona Diamondbacks Fan Makes Catch While Holding Child
- Japanese figure skater suspended after drunken moped ride
- Vin Baker got a DUI? I’m SHOCKED!