Yet Another Weird Sports Injury as Manchester United’s Darren Fletcher Attacked by Toilet Door
|Darren Fletcher runs from another violent bathroom door|
The list of bizarre sports injuries just got a bit longer.
After helping Manchester United dump Lyon from the UEFA Champions League last week, Scottish midfielder Darren Fletcher was heading to take one himself when he was a victim of a vicious attack – by a toilet door.
According to a Man U insider, Fletcher attempted to swing a bathroom door open when the door fell on his head, knocking him unconscious. Blood started pouring from his head, and the injury required stitches.
Said the staffer, “It seems that there was something seriously wrong with the toilet door. I don’t know if fittings had come loose or what – but when Darren went to open the door, it came away and clobbered him. It was a nasty wound but it could have been worse.”
And just for the hell of it, here are a few more weird sports injuries from the soccer world that we haven’t yet covered:
- David Beckham once suffered a scraped head after being hit with a boot, allegedly kicked by Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson
- Chelsea goalkeeper Dave Beasant dropped a bottle on his foot, putting him out for a time. A similar injury happened to Spanish goalkeeper Santiago Canizares prior to the 2002 World Cup. Goalkeepers obviously can’t be trusted to hold things.
- Leeds player David Batty had a child run over his ankle with a tricycle.
- In 1970 the career of Brentford’s Goalie Chic Brodie was ended by injury following a mid-match collision with a dog that had invaded the pitch.
- Barnsley’s Darren Barnard slipped in a puddle of his new dog’s pee on the kitchen floor. The resulting knee ligament damage kept him out of action for five months.
- Back in the 70s, Norwegian International defender Svein Grondalen had to withdraw from an International game after an accident which happened while he was out jogging. He collided with a moose.
- Spain (and Valencia) keeper Santiago Canizares was ruled out of the 2002 World Cup finals after a bottle of aftershave dropped on his foot caused cuts and serious tendon damage.
- And just this past weekend, Dundee’s Derek Lyle missed a match after falling through a coffee table and cutting his stomach. He is also thrice divorced and lives in a van down by the river.
That’s it for now, at least until some other athlete gets hurt in a stupid way or gets attacked by an inanimate object. We can only hope that happens soon.
Other Articles You Might Enjoy:
- Barnsley fans score a goal against Manchester United, whose own fans robbed a food stand
- Ron Artest trips over a box, falls down stairs (Happy Boxing Day?)
- Manchester United Boss Sir Alex Ferguson Punched in the Groin By Drunken Homeless Man
- Video: AIK Tomi Maanoja – Gruesome Leg Break Injury
- West Brom Goalie Dean Kiely Signals For The Linesman To Be Substituted: Video