Video: Patrice Bergeron Suffers Vicious Hit by Randy Jones, Leaves the Ice on a Stretcher
The list of dirty hits by the Philadelphia Flyers this season is growing. In today’s game against the Boston Bruins, Randy Jones hit Patrice Bergeron into the boards face-first. Bergeron was knocked unconscious and left the ice on a stretcher after paramedics cut his jersey and equipment from his upper body and secured him. Reports say he has since regained consciousness at the hospital and is moving all his limbs.
Jones did express regret, issuing a statement after the game saying: “Words really can’t express the way that I feel right now. I am very apologetic for the hit and what I did. It was not intentional. It is something that I have never done before and it is not part of my character. I am extremely sorry. I hope he does OK and everything works out for him. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery.”
While he does have a clean record, Jones will certainly draw a long suspension. This would be the 3rd such suspension for the Flyers this season, following Steve Downie’s 20 game suspension for a preseason hit on Dean McAmmond of Ottawa and Jesse Boulerice’s 25 game suspension for performing unapproved dental work on Ryan Kesler with his stick.
Bergeron suffers concussion, broken nose after hit (Boston Herald)
Other Articles You Might Enjoy:
- Vintage Video Vault: Canucks & Flyers Fight Over Who Has the Ugliest Jerseys
- Video: Sidney Crosby First Career Fight, First Career Gordie Howe Hat Trick
- Move Over, Sarah Palin, Queen Elizabeth II Is a Hockey Mom Too
- Boston Bruins Fan Makes Her Way Up The Down Escalator: Video
- Looking for the Perfect Holiday Gift for the Bruins Fan on Your List? How About a Nude Painting of Bobby Orr?